Saturday, September 18, 2010

Podcasts I Like: NPR's Planet Money


Today's special shout-out goes to Jessica F. for being the voice of reason, always.

A whole new chapter of life is about to unfold for many of us.  Grad programs are looming over many of our heads.  New careers are starting.  Marriages or possibly children are making their way slowly into existence.  It makes me want to look back and say "What happened?" Who is this person I have become?  I thought I was supposed to be taller, smarter, married with children.  Instead, I realize I will be the eternal procrastinator.  Even when I'm 100 years old and it's time for me to die, I'll be like "No, wait, I'll do it tomorrow."  At almost 23 years old I have a feeling I will be "winging" my adulthood.  I wouldn't even call it adulthood, I would call it overgrown adolescence.  Am I the only one who is pretending to have my shit together?  All of you fakers should come forward so that I don't feel like I am the only incompetent human being on this Earth.

I am sure many of you have picked your lives up and moved to a brand new place.  There is no pleasant way to push a mattress up two flights of stairs.  Also, I decided that I have a love/hate relationship with IKEA.  As useful and interesting of a store as it is, I would like a couch not an EKTORP.   It's like the Starbucks of furniture.  The pretentiousness of IKEA is overshadowed by the adorable, but useless wooden spoon holder that requires 3 days of assembly.  Something tells me that people in Sweden are not as drawn to IKEA as they would like us to believe.  Regardless, it's a good store with good business sense.

Speaking of good business sense, I tend to be drawn to economics.  It naturally fits into my set of interests including politics, history, cats, and Swedish furniture.  This is why NPR's Planet Money podcast is perfect.  It's for us simple-minded people who could not fathom the thought of making a life of economics.  As much as I would have loved sitting through macro and micro econ, applying algorithms to determine patterns, I thought that I would do the world a favor and not ruin it.  Instead, I listen to Planet Money and my desire for information on the World Bank and its inner workings are satiated.  They did a great episode on LeBron James and the impact of his decision, economically, on each city that he did/did not choose.  Bottom line is that he couldn't have helped Cleveland because we are already too unhappy and our finances are in the toilet regardless.  If I say that David Kastenbaum and Jacob Goldstein are the hosts of an economics podcast, would anyone be suprised?  That's what I thought.  Here is the link to the podcast through iTunes.  If you need something to listen to while making that morning/afternoon commute, walking on campus, or wiping baby puke from your clothes this is it AND you can learn something new.

So, there we go.  The world keeps spinning, life is coming and going, and we all know money makes the world go round.  The only thing I can think to leave you with is a video that combines cats AND IKEA...woah apocalypse. 

Love,
Diana




website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! It's Carmen! Your wonderful roomie from NYC. I didn't want you to think I was some random stalker chick. I have a blog too! =)

    Also, you are not the only one that doesn't have her shit together. I don't either believe it or not. I'm still not sure what I want to do with my life!

    ReplyDelete